Friday, November 9, 2007

On St. John


Four months ago today I was on St. John, soaking up some lovely Caribbean weather and snorkeling to my heart's content. Today, I'm sitting in my office with my winter coat still on and a portable heater beside my legs. My, how things change.

The Italian and I don't have a trip planned until May 2008, when we're going to Costa Rica. We *might* go to Vegas in March, but I don't want to make that trip for a variety of reasons, mainly that it's a group trip. The Italian and I always travel with other people, and while it's fun, I'm a bit tired of it. I have so little time off that when I'm off, I want to do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it. Does that sound selfish? Plus, a Vegas trip quickly gets expensive when you factor in gambling. We don't usually get out there for less than $2000 for a long weekend. I figure we can get to the tropics for four nights in Feb. for less than that, though we may not stay at the nicest place ever.

I'm seriously contemplating trying to squeeze a quick getaway in during the month of February. It's typically a slow month for me, work-wise. With the economy being down, I'm hopeful that we can find a good deal somewhere, even if it's just a cheap AI in Mexico or the Dominican (though I really don't want food poisoning, thank you very much.). Shoot, at this point, I'll even camp on St. John. You hear that, Mr. Italian?

I'm afraid my love for St. John is a dangerous love. St. John is a very expensive island, and while there are cheaper options as far as lodging, things like food and rental cars will just never been inexpensive there.

0 comments :