Monday, December 31, 2007

Clean

I just read my last blog entry. What a disaster. That's what a small dose of Ambien does to me. It apparently turns me into a cussing sailor and a complete random idiot. I didn't go to bed until 3:00 a.m. that night. Stupid daytime naps, they mess me up.

Happy New Year to everyone out there! 2007 was a so-so year. I'm hoping 2008 is better. In general, I don't like New Year's Eve because it's expensive and never lives up to the hype. This will likely be the last New Year's I spend without children or a pregnancy. What a weird thought. I'm having lots of champagne.

Ever since 2003, I always approach a new year with a bit of hesitancy. In 2002, I was married and I started law school. I had an awesome honeymoon. I got promoted at my job (right before I left, but still). I won a trip to St. Martin. 2002 was a great year. Then, 2003 happened. My dad entered the hospital on February 13, 2003 (the day before my birthday) and died on March 15, 2003. I'd been married less than a year. I was 25. Let me tell you, the death of a parent combined with the first year of law school puts the strain on even the tightest of relationships. It was a tough time.

My parents had just moved to coastal Alabama, where my father really wanted to live. After a very stress-filled life (much of it self-imposed), he died less than six months after he retired and reached his dream of moving back "home." He was 65. It will be five years ago this March that he died. For some reason, I thought about his death while I was in the shower this morning.

I remembered going in to have a moment with him right before we disconnected the ventilator. My dad had open heart surgery in February, sometime around the 17th. He had a brief rebound, but it quickly became evident that his heart problems were to0 extensive. There would be no miracle. Because I was in law school in Georgia, I really couldn't be by his side because I'd miss too much class. If you miss more than a certain number of days, you just have to start over. My dad didn't want that. "Stay in school," my dad insisted. So I did.

When it became clear his death was inevitable, my husband and I drove down to AL in March. I walked in to his ICU room and he looked so small. His muscles had atrophied. His legs were moving rapidly as if he were peddling an invisible bicycle. He was unconscious, and had been for some time. It was hell. I fled the room and sobbed. I was scared of him. Scared to go in that room and see how sick he was, how helpless we were. I felt truly, deeply bad for my mom and guilty that I hadn't been there for that past month. Guilty that we'd lied to him, telling him he would be fine. We didn't know how sick he was or that he had a heart defect. We didn't know.

When I went in to speak to my dad on the day he died, he was unconscious, as usual. His body was filled with a toxic stew as his kidneys had ceased to work. I said something like "I'm sorry. I'm sorry we didn't get more time to know each other." I might have told him "I love you," but I honestly don't remember. It was quick and I've blocked it out. Though unconscious, he started flailing violently when I spoke those words. I think he heard me. Did I scare him? Did he know he was going to die? That haunts me, with a sadness so raw and profound I feel like it's happening all over again as I type this.

Those last moments alone with him are what I remembered this morning in the shower. I was filled with an overwhelming sadness. I felt sick to my stomach. I haven't remembered that in so long. Why this morning, as a new year, a new page, is about to begin? Or is that precisely why? So I don't forget, so I take that with me into the new year?

I finished my shower and got out. I'm at work. I've had a productive morning, but the memory still haunts me.

I think it always will.

1 comments :

  1. Philippe said...

    You didn't lied to your Dad... You just didn't knew how much he was sick and it is not your fault if the medical team didn't informed you. On my side we did lied to my Mom... I beleived we didn't had much choice since she didn't wanted to beleive she was so sick and was sure she was going to win her battle aginst the Brain tumor. We knew from the first day she was going to loose, because the Professor in charge of her had a meeting with my Dad, my two sisters and I, on the first day of diagnosis, to explain us that what she had was 100% lethal and she would only have 11 month to live max... She lived 11 month.
    Your Dad certainly heard you and knew you were next to him in the room. Even people in deep coma are receptive to what is around and can hear. I deeply beleive in that since I witness it myself, and my mom went out of the deep coma she was in since few days, for the last minut of her life, when we were talking to her and my sister asked her "if you hear us give us a sign"... She open the eyes and look at all of us before to give her last breath. She went in peace.
    You didn't scared him, his reaction was a sign to you that he could hear what you said, be happy for that. You certainly told him I love you but do not remember it. I, also occulted the last words I said to my Mom... I sincerly didn't remember them and felt some inner guilt I couldn't define, until my sister recently on one occasion during a conversation reminded me what I said to my Mom... I said " I love you Mom, I love you very strong and alway did, and I promise you that I will take care of Dad so you don't have to worry"... My inner guilt was that I couldn't take care of my Dad as I promise to my Mom on her last minut of life, because I am stock now in St Martin with my restaurant (which I just closed) and now a new job, and my Dad was going to be alone for the holliday because he cannot travel. I couldn't figurate why I felt so guilty about this situation until my sister remind me what I promise to my Mom.
    Usually, even in deep coma, people know when their last moment is arrived. It is just natural... One day you will remember that you said "I love you" to your Dad. By your presence next to him at that moment, you already told him.