Monday, February 4, 2008

If you already know the answer, why even ask someone else's opinion?

Since travel is a passion of mine, I frequent a few different travel message boards related to my favorite destinations. Most posters are really nice and have genuine questions or answers to said questions. For those folks, I patiently answer their questions and move along. The minority, about 10%, are just a pain the ass.

Like the people who make 10 separate threads asking about 10 separate villas. Things like "Villa Extravaganza: construction noise?" and "Villa Spirulina: construction noise?". Days go by, no one answers. Inevitably, when you nicely respond that they would be best served to call the rental agency and inquire about these properties, they say something like "I know, but I'm just hopeful someone can tell me something." Hm. I think the rental agencies CAN tell you something. They're not in the business of lying about construction noise because an unhappy customer is a squeaky wheel. These are people I hope I don't have the misfortune of sitting next to on a beach.

Then, there are the folks who inquire if anyone can tell them of a place to stay for a few nights. Something clean and comfortable like Guesthouse X, who they've called and gotten a quote from. Oh, and does anyone know anything about Guesthouse X? So, when I respond and give them some alternate suggestions (which they asked for) and then proceed to tell them that I've never stayed at Guesthouse X, but the reviews on trip advisor aren't great and they should really check those out, they respond "I'm looking for reviews from people who've stayed there." DUH, assholes. For the FORTIETH TIME, LOOK AT TRIP ADVISOR! Despite some stupid reviews, it is hands down the best place for hotel reviews if you can read through the lines and separate picky travelers from ones like yourself.

I'm going to take a break from stupid people.

Oh, and I brought a "fun mix" of Valentine's Skittles and Starburst into my office, and I'll be damned if some asshole hasn't eaten all of my Skittles and left the Starburst. I'm gonna have to kill somebody for denying me my Skittles.

Oh and Oh - We've got a maid coming tomorrow! Yeah! Now I just have to clean my house before the maid comes. You think that's crazy? So do I, but apparently your house has to be in some sort of order for the maid to do her job. I want to move back in to a very small apartment right now.

2 comments :

  1. Philippe said...

    Are you talking about TTOL?... LOL! I know , me too, some of those people piss me off by asking always the ame question and mot of the time they are in denial with answer we can give because it is not the answer they want to hear... Some of them also are telling me that they know more about sxm than I do (even tough I am a full time resident of this small island since almost 20 years) because they "owwwwn a condo there..." ( timeshare = pre-paid vaccation week for 99 years) LOL! Barbara and I, we've got some good laught sometime about them! Like I always says (it sounds better in French..) "you can force a donkey to drink if he is not thirsty" (I hope it is imaged enough so you can figurate what it means... LOL)

  2. Island Chica said...

    In a way, yes, I'm talking about TTOL, but I'm really not there very often these days. It's kind of the same with all travel boards. Yeah, I do love how frequent visitors think they're experts on all aspects of a place. Oh, and you don't have to be delicate - I think "ass" is the word you meant in your saying :)