Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lessons from the Dead

My friend the Yogi has been through too many trials for someone in her 30th year. In the last five years, she's lost both her mother and her brother under tragic circumstances. Her brother was killed less than three years ago in a car accident. I saw him just two weeks before it happened. He and his wife we so happy with their two young children. "We are having so much fun," his wife said to me. Then, abruptly and cruelly, the fun stopped.

The whole family was devastated, and rightly so. This brother, father and son was really cool guy, someone who managed to be sensitive but still manly. And, most importantly, someone who loved his family dearly and made sacrifices for them. Had he lived, I feel certain he would have become an important man in politics, eventually, after his children were past young childhood.

In many ways, the bond of loss drew the Yogi and I closer together. In between her losses, I lost my father. Grief understands grief. I've tried to be the best friend possible from a distance of 500 miles.

Recently, the Yogi's sister-in-law made a difficult choice: she was going to get remarried. And not just to some dude, but to her late husband's best friend. It was an emotional choice and one that neither of them took lightly. Apparently, feelings had been brewing for quite some time on both sides, both of them ignored these feelings for a while, but eventually these things have a way of bubbling to the surface. So, they bubbled, they got engaged, and now they've formed a new family.

Instead of doing a traditional wedding announcement, I found an article in their local newspaper commemorating my friend's brother. It's about all the things his friends are doing to remember him. There's a golf tournament, a scholarship, outings with his children, and the list goes on. The recent remarriage of his wife is mentioned, but the emphasis is on her late husband's legacy. The point of the article is that if a person is measured by the loyalty his friends have to his memory, he must have been a great man.

All of this got me thinking, if I died tomorrow, would my friends by that loyal to my memory? Have I created a tightly woven network of people would feel an instability in their foundation if I disappeared? The answer, I'm afraid, is no. Maybe I'm just not that engaging (possible) but I think it's more that I haven't gotten involved, haven't sacrified of myself. I wasn't raised in a household that did that for other people. My mother is selfish, and I've followed in her footsteps.

Though it's common to canonize the dead, in some cases the person who died deserves the credit for a life well-lived. Such is the case here. It speaks volumes that, years after his death, friends that have busy lives, who've moved on, married and had more children are still gathering in his memory.

I want that sort of network. I want that sort of meaningful life. I just don't know how to get it. I figure getting involved in something is a good start, even if it's just a yoga class or running club where I can at least meet people. Then, I can work to strengthen the bonds I do have, to listen more than speak, and help even when it's terribly inconvenient for me.

3 comments :

  1. Philippe said...

    Well I just discovered your blog after you posted on mine and I can tell you that I love your writting style!!! Don't be discourage professionally, stay positive and I am sure you will find your way with a new firm soon. Myself, I was originally an accountant and had some law degrees, but in fact I hated it, and one day I decided to do what I really love to do : run a restaurant!... So I quit!!!...Weird ? Maybe... I stated my new carreer as a busboy, (my familly went balistic..) then waiter, then Maitre D', then manager, then I owned my own, and I am very happy. I also did it under the Caribbean sun, which help a lot...
    Hey if one day you come this way, let me know, I could find an "orange cat" for you... There are plenty of them on St Martin. By the way, we named him : he is "Rusty". Not very original, but that's the best I could do and it fit him.
    Long life to your new blog,
    Cheer,
    Philippe

  2. Island Chica said...

    Thanks Philippe for your supportive words. I've actually been to your restaurant before and had a lovely meal. The passion just sort of comes through when you're doing something you love, doesn't it?

    Welcome to my blog. This one is rather new. I was maintaining another blog but I want a forum where I can remain anonymous. You're my first comment! (I haven't told any friends or family yet about my blog move).

  3. gibber said...

    I love your blog. It's very gripping. And I share your love of all things St. Martin...it's where my peoples are from!