Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lessons from the Dying

I hate those early evening news shows on all the major networks, but I just happened to be tuned on ABC last week as the program was wrapping up. The "Person of the Week" segment singled out a man named Randy Pausch, a damn good computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University who just happens to by dying of cancer in the prime of his life.

The story focused on the last lecture he gave at Carnegie Mellon on September 18th. I saw just a brief few minutes of this lecture, edited for TV, and was instantly captivated. I quickly went to the computer and found the whole version. I watched over 50 minutes of his lecture and it felt like 15. I implore you to visit this link and watch his riveting speech: http://cmu.edu/uls/journeys/

I'm not normally one for sending out inspirational messages, email forwards with good quotes, or pictures of cute babies. That's the realm of 55+ women, people who lack computer etiquette and well, frankly, my mother-in-law (though she does fit soundly into the two aforementioned categories). Nonetheless, I think everyone should see Randy Pausch's message. He is a scientist, a man with an analytical mind. He knows what's going to happen to him. He won't see another August, another Fourth of July, or another start of the school year for his young children. Despite all of these facts, he is not depressed. He is taking the time to live, and perhaps to reflect on where he has been and how that impacts the person he is today.

I've never encountered a more likeable guy. In his speech, he talks about how being "earnest" is a more important quality in a person than being "hip." About how his career has enabled him to help others achieve their childhood dreams. This is a man who has been successful, in part, because of his ability to relate to people. You can tell in the way he speaks, the way his friends look at him during the lecture, the bonds he mentions to those who've inspired him.

Last week, I wrote a blog about "Lessons from the Dead." This week, I get to say that Randy Pausch's speech is full of "Lessons from the Dying." I wish him continued health and a good, quick death surrounded by those he loves. I wish more time for him. Lastly, selfishly, I wish I could figure out how to be like him, for he is truly an exemplary human.

1 comments :

  1. Philippe said...

    Island Chica,
    What a great speech... I can relate to it. If you read my blog recently you may have read what I wrote about my Mom who just passd away 5 month ago today... She wasn't a scientist, but she was a great adventurer with a lot of dreams. She had time to accomplish most of them and she left us a great inheritance of knowledge. You learn a lot from people dying. I did during the last few month of her life that I spend with her. She knew she was going to die, but she still try to live to the fullness and bring positive things to this world. Thanks for posting
    Philippe