Friday, September 21, 2007

What's in a name?


I'm slowly starting to post comments to other people's blogs using my new account, so people are finding this blog... slowly but surely. I'm sure it's very confusing to folks to see my moniker, "Island Chica." Lest any confusion ensues, let me clarify: I am in fact a chica, but I don't live on an island. Yet.


I live in the US, but I have an obsession with island travel. That's the reason for the name. My career, though not personally fulfilling, does allow us the luxury of traveling a few times a year, and I've been to St. Martin, Anguilla, St. John, St. Thomas, Jamaica (yuck), Cancun (yuckier), the Bahamas, Aruba, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda and Maui. When we visit these islands, I prefer to stay in condos, guesthouses, anywhere off the beaten path. I like to feel like I'm part of the local scene as much as possible (not to mention that my way is thousands less than a big resort, which means more frequent trips are possible).


We're going to Costa Rica next year... not an island, but still cool.


My favorite Caribbean islands so far are St. John and St. Martin. I love them both for different reasons. St. John is an escapist's paradise. That's where I indulge my desires to feel close to nature by snorkeling, hiking, and exploring the denser part of the island. St. Martin is a wonderful combination of West Indian and European influences. I've been there five times in as many years. Some feel it's too crowded to really be a paradise, and I might agree. But, it's a hell of a fun place to waste a week or two sunning yourself, drinking wine and filling your belly with baguettes and gouda cheese.

It's my goal to visit all of the major Caribbean islands at some point. The only problem is, I'm stuck on St. John and St. Martin. I'll get there eventually. For today, enjoy my photo of Maho Bay on St. John.


2 comments :

  1. nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

    Hello Island Chica. My family is from St. Martin (my parents moved back to the Frenh Side from the States a couple years ago) and it's one of my favorite places as well.

    I hope you do get to move to an island soon. I can relate. I live in Los Angeles and want to move to Rome.

  2. Island Chica said...

    Welcome! I'm glad you found my blog. I don't know if I'll ever get to entirely move to an island... but I hold out hope. My husband is Italian (second generation but fully Italian). We've never been but hope to go in the near future.

    St. Martin is lovely, isn't it?