Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Malodorous Day


In general, I dislike blogs where the author does nothing but bitch about how bad her day was. I qualify my last statement with "in general" because bitch is exactly what I'm about to do. If you aren't interested, the little "x" is in the upper right hand corner. I'm just saying.

My day started sadly, when I checked my Blackberry this morning and learned that my co-worker's adult daughter is in the hospital in "grave" condition. This was a complete shock. She has organ failure likely brought on by an eating disorder. She's younger than me and she has two young children. Horrible all around.

Obviously, my co-worker is out for an undetermined about of time. Besides the obvious sadness of the situation, this co-worker is the boss-man's right arm (see earlier blog if you don't know who I'm talking about). She does everything for him, and it's miserable when she's out.

Yeah! Weeks of misery.

I am obviously not so horrible and selfish that I would expect my co-worker to return anytime soon to make my life easier. I just didn't even see this one coming. Usually, I have a little lead time when the shit's going to hit the fan at my office.

I know I should feel lucky, because it could be my family member and that would be so much worse. I hope her daughter rebounds, and quickly. Plus, this co-worker is a wonderful human who never leaves anyone in a lurch, work-wise. She's probably stressed about leaving us "stranded," which is far from the reality. It's just an all-around suckfest of a situation, tu comprends? I'm going to stop writing about this now, because I can't make myself sound anything less than little and horrid.

Then, I had to leave at 11:30 for our treadmill delivery. It was supposed to arrive between 11:30 and 1:30. Want to know what time it got here? 4:45. And the bastards didn't even assemble the damn thing.

Now, I know I have a handful of Caribbean readers. You're likely saying, "What, you mean they told you it would be delivered today and it actually GOT THERE TODAY? What are you complaining about?" But see, it's oh-so-much-different stateside. If a delivery is late, they usually at least call you to let you know, so you can, you know, go back to work to make the money that bought the treadmill so you can buy more stuff. Know what I'm saying, Sears? That's right, I'm calling you out.

I'm in a mood, aren't I? What a mundane, malodorous day. At least I got a lot of work done at home.

On a happier note, isn't "malodorous" a great word? It's so dramatic. Say it a few times, just roll it around. "Mal-oooo-dorous." It's impossible to sound anything other than snooty when saying it.

0 comments :