Thursday, October 25, 2007

In a hurry, all the time

One of the things I really hate about working is the pace. Everything is so fast, all the time. With scanning and email being the primary way of communicating, people get frustrated if their requests are not immediately answered. I get it, I just don't like it.

The fast pace of my work life means that I'm often impatient. Because I move so fast most of the time, I have a hard time slowing down. When a line takes a minute too long at the grocery or a person won't turn on yellow at a stoplight, I get angry. I think it's also a function of living in a big city.

I've often wanted to have the chance to slow down, move to a small town and just live life. It's difficult because that thought is at odds with my desire to have enough money to make me independent. I guess I've gotten caught up in the "I'll kill myself for ten years, THEN I'll rest" phenomenon. Problem is, in the US, people tend to increase their standard of living when their salary increases. The Italian and I are guilty as charged, so it makes saving a ton of money more difficult.

What I really want to do is take a few months off and travel. I've always wanted to do this, but I don't think my husband is so keen on the idea. He doesn't want to give up the salary, and it's more difficult when you owns houses like we do, because then you have the mortgage too...

I missed the boat on studying abroad in high school and college. I don't even think I took three months off between college and working, and I took about four weeks between law school and working. I've never been able to afford travel time before now, and now I could theoretically do it. Part of me is afraid I could never return to "normal" life if I spent 3-6 months traveling... how could you?

My dream places to go... Botswana on safari, Tokyo, the Amazon, coastal Thailand, the Amalfi Coast in Italy (overdone? Yes, but I still want to see it), Paris, Turkey, and, oddly enough a place in the US, Kauai. Anyone know a lonely millionaire who's on his sickbed and wants to adopt me?

2 comments :

  1. Unknown said...

    I think that the fast pace of life gets everyone. I know how you feel about the line at the market going to slow - I find myself about to burst on many occassion only to tell myself to relax. :)

    I did the opposite of you - after college I didn't work (had a little $$ saved) and travelled cheap and did a lot of fun things. I would never have done it any other way. Now I would never have the time to do those things. And returning to normal life? I don't know if I could do it knowing what I know now.

  2. Island Chica said...

    Hey ladsk... welcome. I think this is the first time I've seen you around here. I wish I'd realized how important that time right after college was and saved some $$ to travel. God knows if I ever had kids I want them to value experiences over getting right to work. You can work the rest of your life, can't you?