Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Little Dude, Litter Eater

We had a quasi-emergency last night. We're going out of town tonight, and I'd planned on a nice, calm Tuesday night filled with packing, making soup from my William-Sonoma cookbook, watching House and making some jewelry. I got most of those things done, but I was up until 1:00am. Why? Well, there was an emergency vet visit thrown in there.

We had my mom over for dinner and she brought the little dude. He was sitting on my lap while we were eating dinner, and despite my best efforts to keep him on my lap, he took a plunge. FACT: 4 week old kittens do not "land on their feet" like normal cats. They kind of fall into a heap and then walk in circles and limp off, clearly wounded.

Feeling like the most horrible person alive, I quickly realized little dude might be seriously hurt. We rushed him into the emergency vet where he was diagnosed with a "soft tissue injury to his left front leg" and a scrotum. That's right, ladies and gents, we have ourselves a boy. He's going to be okay but I'm horrified. If you knew the care I take with my animals, you'd understand. I'm so careful and protective, and then this happens. I felt awful. But, $130 later and after fearing for his little life, I think little dude is officially ours.

To celebrate, he came home and ate some litter. He's kind of retarded that way, but hopefully he'll grow out of it.



I've also posted a picture of my other cat, Princess Sassy Pants (not her real name, but it should be), just for good measure.



FACT: did you know only 1 in 3,000 orange cats are female?

2 comments :

  1. Philippe said...

    He is really adorable... You must have freaked out when he felt! I know that feeling of guilt when one of your babies is hurt! you always feel responsible because in your mind you are responsible for them and here to watch for them... which is legitimate. I hope he ( and you...) are feeling better now, and I am sure he did learned a lesson : do not jump down from Mommy laps without being sure you can land on your feet...LOL

    I forgot, to answer your question, I am not sure about the whole Europe but I know that it is not done in France (declawing..), doubt it is done in Italy, Spain, Suizerland, Belgium and Germany...

  2. Anonymous said...

    Lovely to hear little dude is good. Precious! We don't have any cats here, just three precious dogs. Love my animals, too.

    You make jewelry? You might want to check out my friend Alison Lee's podcast: www.craftcast.com, also available on iTunes. I'm not a crafter, but I love her show. Not just because she's my friend, but she talks to interesting people, has good music and a nice voice. I listen to it when I'm walking in the morning. Straight up the mountain!

    Have fun at the wedding!